Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vipassana



"Vipassana, which means "to see things as they really are," is an ancient technique of meditation which was taught by Gautama the Buddha more than 2500 years ago as a universal remedy for human suffering, i.e., an Art of Living. It is the process of self-purification by self-observation. One begins by observing the natural breath to concentrate the mind. Then, with a sharpened awareness, one proceeds to observe the changing nature of body and mind and experiences the universal truths of impermanence, suffering and egolessness. This truth-realization by direct experience results in mental purification.

The technique is a universal remedy for universal problems and has nothing to do with any organized religion or sectarianism. It can be freely practiced by anyone without conflict due to race, community or religion, and will prove equally beneficial to one and all. You can find out more about the technique by visiting the international Vipassana Meditation Home Page."

I recently read an account of an experience at a Vipassana retreat. It is a 10 day retreat for beginners, with 2 meals provided, lodging (tents) and several hours-long closed eye meditation. Some people's experiences are intense! I have no idea if I would be able to keep it together. I went to a Buddhist meditation class once or twice, and kept nodding off. But by all accounts, this is an experience worth more than any teacher training, trip to India, or whatever floats your boat.

Just as I reflected this morning on my little meditation pillow, I should practice more. My semi-regular practice of 5 minute practices ground me, creating that sacred space in my life that is so hard to maintain sometimes. Soon, I will have more free time to devote to moving deeper within my practice, and finding a path that will support my inner and outer development.


Source: Oregon Vipassana Meditation

1 comment:

  1. yoga teacher training course
    Human mind, in its evolutionary process, has been cleared by light of consciousness, creating systems which purpose is the improvement of human condition.
    Circumstances, sometimes, determine geographic location where these systems appear more clearly to the world. So, Yoga finds in India the historical location of its birth, being then imprisoned in religious culture of this Country. This becomes determining to purposes of researcher, who, today, must necessarily pass through Indian culture to understand the purpose and to use techniques that create the system of “liberation” called Yoga. When I say “liberation” I mean liberation from the yoke of human suffering, but for a Hindu it also represents the way to free himself of cycle of samsara or of re-births tightly tied to distorted view of senses that impedes the dissolution of union with suffering and the access to knowledge of absolute oneself.

    ReplyDelete