Thursday, December 10, 2009

Unexpected Joys



As I shoved my cycling pannier into the tiny cubby at my yoga studio, I overheard a teacherly voice that was not the expected instructor. Somewhat disappointed, I wondered if she was a substitute or if I had remembered the schedule incorrectly... regardless I set up my mat and zoned inward beginning to stretch out a day's worth of tension.

When the class began the instructor shared with us the fact that the regular teacher had scaled back her teaching commitments to 3 days a week rather than 5 to spend more time with her son. I was joyful for her, for she is such a passionate teacher,  and I wish the best for her. However,  I couldn't help lament the loss of her instructions on such convenient nights for me.

I had never taken a class from this evening's yoga teacher and I was eager to experience her teaching style, so my mind was receptive. She began by asking the class if anyone had any special requests. One student responded that her shoulders were holding quite a bit of tension and would love to release that area. Sitting in front of a desk all day is not help to my tight shoulders, so I was happy to hear her request.

The instructor explained that the practice would focus on side-opening postures, taking into account the waning half moon in the sky outside the already dark windows of winter. We began in child's pose and her gentle yet firm instructions to relax and mentally unwind were quite effective. She took her time allowing us to really sink into the pose, and I came back to this beginning moment many times throughout the rest of the sequence. Remembering this level of relaxation allowed me to deepen through other postures. Her use of mantra was fun as well, having us promote wonderful thoughts such as "I am strong, healthy and vibrant. I am loved."

I found the entire class to be gentle, yet challenging; fun and light hearted. A perfect Thursday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment